Catch fish with Mike Ladle.

Catch Fish with
Mike Ladle


Information Page


For anyone unfamiliar with the site always check the FRESHWATER, SALTWATER and TACK-TICS pages. The Saltwater page now extends back as a record of over several years of (mostly) sea fishing and may be a useful guide as to when to fish. The Freshwater stuff is also up to date now. I keep adding to both. These pages are effectively my diary and the latest will usually be about fishing in the previous day or two. As you see I also add the odd piece from my friends and correspondents if I've not been doing much. The Tactics pages which are chiefly 'how I do it' plus a bit of science are also updated regularly and (I think) worth a read (the earlier ones are mostly tackle and 'how to do it' stuff).

Got one (but only just).

The last blank trip whetted my appetite for another go at the same spot so, with the forecast good for a flat sea, no wind and a pleasant morning I decided to give the place a second try. I didn't really believe the smiling weather forecaster's prediction of a warm night so I put on my usual several layers of clothes - a couple of jumpers, a jacket, a waterproof and my cosy hat with the ear flaps - big mistake! Jeez did I sweat. On my way down the cliff it was OK but when I came back up I felt like a 'boil in the bag' meal. Anyway, that's an aside, what about the fishing?

I was on the shore before 4am and there was just a bit of a ripple. Unlike the previous trip it was possible for me to stand right at the water's edge without even getting my feet wet - perfect. I began to cast and retrieve the Maria and although the tide was only half way in I never contacted any weed, rocks or other snags, it was really easy fishing. On about the tenth cast there was a tug and I found myself into a fish. It zipped about and really wriggled on the line so I began to think 'mackerel' but as I slid it ashore I could see that it was a schoolie. Good start!

For another hour-and-a-half or so I flogged away, working my way along the rocks for perhaps half a mile. Nothing! When it got light I expected the terns to arrive and start fishing but no, they never came. The seal that we'd seen on our previous trip did not turn up either. Obviously the sandeels (and presumably the bass) were elsewhere that morning. Just my luck. Anyway, at least I'd found myself a bass, albeit a small one. Next time perhaps I'll get everything right.

If you have any comments or questions about fish, methods, tactics or 'what have you!' get in touch with me by sending an E-MAIL to -

Got one.

This little fish put up a good, mackerel-like, struggle but it was not the harbinger of a big shoal.