Catch fish with Mike Ladle.

Catch Fish with
Mike Ladle


Information Page


For anyone unfamiliar with the site always check the FRESHWATER, SALTWATER and TACK-TICS pages. The Saltwater page now extends back as a record of over several years of (mostly) sea fishing and may be a useful guide as to when to fish. The Freshwater stuff is also up to date now. I keep adding to both. These pages are effectively my diary and the latest will usually be about fishing in the previous day or two. As you see I also add the odd piece from my friends and correspondents if I've not been doing much. The Tactics pages which are chiefly 'how I do it' plus a bit of science are also updated regularly and (I think) worth a read (the earlier ones are mostly tackle and 'how to do it' stuff).

A few more pollack on the fly!

This page is really just by way of saying that I won't be posting any more until the second week in June. Also to mention a minor problem that arose from my recent efforts to catch pollack on the fly. I enjoyed my last pollacking session so much that I decided to give it another go. This time I was up early enough to catch first light and when I got down to the coast it was half ebb. The sea was pretty calm as there had been no wind but in fact there was quite a big swell rolling in and crashing aginst the cliff. The wave disturbance had torn off a lot of bits of weed which were drifting about in the water and as I soon discovered, mucking up my fly every other cast.

Anyway I persisted and the weed didn't seem to deter the pollack. It wasn't long before I was into fish on a regular basis and each one fought pretty well. The smallest was probably half-a-pound and the biggest not far short of two - it's quite a job stopping one of these from returning to its lair in the kelp with a fly rod that bends into almost a full circle. I enjoyed my half-hour's sport before it got too light for any more action and, in all, I had about ten fish. very satisfactory!

The problem came when I was due to pack in. When I get back to my car I usually break the rod in the middle (it's a four piece) and pop it in the 'boot'. However, when I tried to pull the middle joint apart it wouldn't budge. I tugged and pulled but eventually I had to give up and take off the top and bottom joints instead. When I got home I began to look for some way to separate the two joints. On the advice of my friend Rasmus (who'd already tried to help me using brute force) I tried cooling the male part and heating the female part - futile! I looked for some way to jam one section so I could hold it firmly and get two hands on the other - nothing simple sprang to mind. I dare not grip it with a vice or pliers for fear of smashing the carbon fibre tube. In the course of heating up the joint I'd used an old handkerchief dipped in boiling water. I wrapped the wet hanky round the thicker section a couple of times and it seemed to give a good grip without crushing the rod. With one foot pinning either end of the hanky to the floor and a couple of turns round the rod I was able to use both hands to pull the other joint upwards - it worked! No one was more amazed than me - so, if it happens again I'll know what to do.


I was still using the little white grub that worked on my last session.

Another pollack!

They all look pretty much alike and tend to engulf the fly.  The old Okuma reel is still going strong.