Catch fish with Mike Ladle.

Catch Fish with
Mike Ladle


Information Page


For anyone unfamiliar with the site always check the FRESHWATER, SALTWATER and TACK-TICS pages. The Saltwater page now extends back as a record of over several years of (mostly) sea fishing and may be a useful guide as to when to fish. The Freshwater stuff is also up to date now. I keep adding to both. These pages are effectively my diary and the latest will usually be about fishing in the previous day or two. As you see I also add the odd piece from my friends and correspondents if I've not been doing much. The Tactics pages which are chiefly 'how I do it' plus a bit of science are also updated regularly and (I think) worth a read (the earlier ones are mostly tackle and 'how to do it' stuff).

Bass or no bass?

I went to the coast on two successive mornings recently. On the first occasion I was up in plenty of time to catch the ebbing tide. I waded to my fishing mark and standing on the end of the ledge began to cast and retrieve my unweighted, white, EvoStix lure into the fast flowing race. For the best part of an hour (actually about 45 minutes) I flogged away with out a sniff. I varied the length and angle of the casts in a regular pattern (because the fish can be anywhere) but it seemed to make little difference. Fishing conditions were excellent with no wind and a pretty calm sea, so I was a little disappointed when nothing showed any interest.

I reached the point in my sequence of casts when I simply flicked the lure a few metres across the race from where I stood and let it swing quickly across and into the eddy which formed behind the rocky ledge. From the angle of the braid I reckoned that the lure had just about reached the 'crease' when I felt a sharp pluck then, seconds later (I barely had time to register the first bite) the lure was grabbed again and this time the fish stuck. It was no monster but it took a little bit of line and gamely fought its way out into the fast water. Now all the fish had to do was open its mouth and it was dragged away like a sea-anchor. However, it wasn't long before I slid my catch onto the thong weed, took the camera out of my pocket and clicked a couple of pictures. I unhooked the bass and slipped it back into the sea thinking "now they'll come on and perhaps I might catch a few." No chance. I didn't have another bite and twenty minutes later I packed in. It could have been worse.

As I drove home I decided ti give it another go the following day. The tide would be an hour later so no need to get up quite as early. The session was almost an exact copy of the day before with the exception that the only fish I saw was a garfish jumping clear of the water. I had a couple of tentative plucks on the lure but they were almost certainly small gars - not good fishing. However, the bonus was a stunning sunrise and I stopped fishing just long enough to take a picture of the glowing clouds. At least I'd confirmed what I should have realised - there was nothing doing with the bass.

Picture of the fish taken in natural light - so still pretty gloomy.

It's easier to see with the flash.

No fish on the following day but still worth getting out of bed.

If you have any comments or questions about fish, methods, tactics or 'what have you.'get in touch with me by sending an E-MAIL to -



"Fishing for Ghosts - Successful Mullet Angling"

written with David Rigden IT'S AVAILABLE FROM - "The Medlar Press"


“The Second Wave”

Written with Steve Pitts this is a SEQUEL TO THE BESTSELLER "Operation Sea Angler" IT'S AVAILABLE ON PAPER OR FOR YOUR KINDLE FROM - "Veals Mail Order" and from Amazon "Amazon"